Libraries loaning “stuff” isn’t a new concept. Framed paintings were available for checkout at the Newark (N.J.) Public Library back in 1904. Lincolnwood’s Library of Things doesn’t have framed pictures, but you can take photos and videos with a GoPro, binge watch a favorite Hulu or Netflix show using a Roku Express+, or ditch the Ethernet cables with a WiFi hotspot.
We hope you enjoy The Library of Things and we hope you’ll share with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using #LincolnwoodCreates.
- Patrons must be at least 18 years old and have a Lincolnwood Library card to borrow items from the Library of Things.
- Each item checks out for 2 weeks and can be renewed once if no one else has placed a hold on the item.
- Patrons can place holds on Library of Things Items via our online catalog or by contacting the Information Services Reference Desk at 224-233-1841.
- If an item becomes overdue, you will be charged $1 per day until you return the item.
- Each item has replacement costs if lost or damaged.
- All Library of Things items must be picked up and returned to the Information Services Reference Desk.
- Please do not place Library of Things items in the parking lot or lobby drop box. Please do not return these items to the check out desk.
Library of Things Items
Click each item for more information, instructions and troubleshooting tips:
Roku Streaming Media Device: Stream content from Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Vudu and library apps such as Kanopy and Hoopla. In order to borrow the Roku devices you have to have Wi-Fi in your home, and have a TV with an HDMI input or a composite input.
Wifi Hotspot (Wireless Internet): This device allows you to wirelessly connect smartphones and tablet computers (without using data), laptop computers, and similar devices to the internet from locations such as your home, outside public spaces, or while using public transportation.
Homido V2 Virtual Reality Viewer: Insert your smartphone into the headset and access content on freely available VR apps like Google Cardboard.
GoPro Hero Camera: A small digital video and still camera designed for action photography.
GoPro Hero Camera Kit (with Accessories): This kit includes a GoPro Hero Camera and 4 different accessories (bicycle mount, mini extension pole and tripod, suction cup mount, head strap and quick clip).
GoPro Head Strap and Quick Clip: The Head Strap can be strapped to a helmet or directly on your head. The QuickClip can be used to attach your GoPro to baseball caps, belts and more.
GoPro Mini Extension Pole & Tripod: This is a pocket sized tripod/extension pole that extends up to 8.9 inches. It can be propped up on any leveled surface.
GoPro Bicycle Mount: Secure the GoPro to a handlebar, seat post or a pole. The non-slip design fits .35in to 1.4in diameter tubes.
GoPro Suction Cup Mount: Attach the GoPro to cars, boats, motorcycles and more. This industrial-strength Suction Cup mount is proven at speeds of 150+ mph and engineered for stability and a broad range of motion.