Insert your smartphone into the headset and access content on freely available Virtual Reality (VR) apps like Google Cardboard.
Check one out
CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE DUE TO COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC SAFETY CONCERNS.
Compatibility & Usage
- You must use your own iOS or Android enabled smartphone in the library’s VR viewer.
- Screensize Compatibility: 4.6″ to 6″ = compatible; 5″ to 5.7″ = optimum compatibility; less than 4.7″ and greater than 6″ = limited compatibility.
- Replacement Cost: $80.
Step 1: Take smartphones out of any case.
Step 2: Insert headphones (if desired).
Step 3: Open the viewer headset from top.
Step 4: Insert smartphone, make sure the fit is secure in the center.
Step 5: Open VR app (see Example VR apps below).
Step 6: In app, find specific content, then press the Cardboard button.
Step 7: Close the viewer.
Step 8: Put the viewer over your eyes and pull the straps around your head. Adjust the straps one at a time to ensure a comfortable fit.
Step 9: Move the slider above the middle of your forehead left/right to focus. Move the lower left slider to adjust the distance between lenses.
Step 10: Some apps support actions while in VR. Press the gray button on the top right of the viewer to do so.
Example VR Apps
- Google Cardboard, Google Cardboard Camera, Google Street View, GoPro VR, Netflix VR, Public Speaking VR, Sites in VR, Titans of Space, Virtual Speech, VRRollercoaster, YouTube.
- Search your app store for “VR” and/or “cardboard” for many more apps. Some apps may be free or require up-front or in-app payment.
- Click here for Google’s list of Cardboard compatible apps.
- Virtual reality (VR) programs are graphics intensive. Smartphone battery may drain quickly.
- Prolonged use may cause fatigue. Use moderately.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Make sure the smartphone is inserted correctly and securely. Center the smartphone in device for best experience.
- Use in a safe environment.
- Stop using if you lose balance, become nauseous, or otherwise ill.
- Do not use while standing up, while driving a vehicle, or while playing sports.
- Use indoors. Do not expose to high temperatures.
- Don’t forget to take your smartphone out of the viewer after use.
Need more help with the library’s VR viewer? Contact the Information Services Reference Desk at 224-233-1841 or