Here at Readers’ Corner we love books in all formats. There’s nothing like the smell of a beautiful hardbound book and the feeling of a soft paper page between your fingers but…
There’s also nothing like the convenience of carrying several three-hundred page books on a single device that weighs less than a pound. Vacation reading has never been easier!
Lincolnwood Library has thousands of titles available for download through MyMedia Mall, a catalog for digital material maintained by a company called Overdrive. Most popular ereaders and mobile devices are compatible with Overdrive materials. Once your device is set up for downloading library material, checking out eBooks is as easy as pie!
Today, we’ll focus on navigating the new and improved MyMediaMall from a personal computer or laptop to find downloadable material.
1. From the “Books” page of our website click on the MyMediaMall link in the dark blue box. You can also find links to instructions for specific devices on this page.
2. Next, click on “Account” to log in with your Lincolnwood Library Card Number:
3. Then, search for material to download:
- Use filters on the left to narrow your search results. Click “Available Now” to see only items that can be checked out right now. Click on the covers to see more details and to check out items or place them on hold.
- Click the ribbons underneath to put the item on a Wish List to check out later.
- The book or headphone icon on the corner of the cover indicates the type of file. A dark grey icon means the item is available and a light grey icon means all copies are checked out. Don’t forget, you can always place checked out items on hold!
4. Once you’ve selected a title, you will see a detail screen. Click on “Borrow” to check out the item. It will then be moved to your bookshelf where it can be downloaded to your device.
5. If all copies are checked out, you will see the “Place a Hold” button. Click on it to reserve your copy. When the title is available you will receive an email notice.
Try it out! If you get stuck:
- Visit OverDrive’s Quick Start Guide or guided tour videos
- Visit MyMediaMall’s Help section for guidance on specific devices and materials.
- Stop by the Adult Services Desk or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Stay tuned for more Readers’ Corner tips and tricks for downloading eBooks! In the meanwhile, happy eReading!